With the earth successfully completing another 365 1/4 days of dancing around the sun, still madly in love after centuries, my time on it this year has been filled with many firsts punctuated by moments of the lesser desired emotions as well. Here are a few interesting ones while waiting for a renewal:
1. Started my first job as a junior resident/ house surgeon whichever sounds more impressive and loved the superhero feel of it. Also conning my way to numerous paid leaves (to study; what did you think!) from my senior consultant was worth every puppy dog face I made. I’m so glad he is not reading this.
The family I found in the staff there and the blessings, laughter, pain, worry and the loss of the patients who were kind enough to let me in in their lives will forever be with me. Though they might not be reading this post but I hope they get well soon.
2. Got my degree. Yaay!
And in the oath administered swore that all doctors are my brothers and sisters. Sisters I have no problem with but brothers? All of them? There should be an exception clause.
Wore a sari for the first time to the graduation ceremony and dreaded the moment when it would fall off. That stuff defies basic physics laws.
3. Separated from my college friends who all started their own adult lives after graduation.
I so miss shopping, idle gossip and making fun of each other. Life is not the same.
Beginning to feel like an adult.
4. Started my first blog here. I was a bit reluctant at first but I’m glad I created this space. The love, encouragement and friendship I receive here from all over the world are irreplaceable. Thank you all for always being there for me.
It feels so much like home that sometimes I forget we speak different languages, have different food, cultures and upbringing. Political borders appear to be just a state of mind in this beautiful world.
5. Started writing seriously for the first time.
Although I have been writing since I was a kid but that was only to unclutter my mind. With this blog I started writing for others hoping that my writing doesn’t taste like a piece of boiled broccoli.
6. Got published and shortlisted on the Jaipur Literature Festival website. The first time I have been published or shortlisted anywhere. I’m proud that I made it this far but screwed up the Skype interview for it. My first interview and I made my ancestors proud by blabbing unnecessary woes of my life to entertain the interviewer.
7. My best friends from school had kids and for the first time in my life I’m wondering which brand of diapers to gift them with or if ‘The Velveteen Rabbit’ would be too advanced for four month olds.
8. Started baking while retaining my ability to burn water. Isn’t that genius?
9. Tasted rainbow cake for the first time today.
10. And I’ll be boring you my first book project in the next post. Beware. 😉